(April 27, 2021 – Washington, DC) – Today, Governor Pedro R. Pierluisi spoke with the U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Marcia L. Fudge, and discussed the island’s access to disaster relief funding. During the conversation, both leaders underscored their commitment to continue accelerating the recovery of Puerto Rico.
Last week, HUD announced the obligation of $8.2 billion in Community Development Block Grant Mitigation (CDBG-MIT) funds, along with the removal of onerous restrictions unique to the island that limited access to recovery funding and the federal financial monitor. These funds were allocated following Hurricane María in September 2017.
“It was a pleasure speaking with Governor Pierluisi today about HUD’s commitment to the renewal and recovery of Puerto Rico,” said HUD Secretary Marcia L. Fudge. “In the first 100 days of the Biden-Harris Administration, HUD has taken swift action to accelerate access to funds Puerto Rico needs to recover from past disasters and build resilience to future storms. I thank Governor Pierluisi for his partnership and look forward to continue working together on behalf of the Puerto Rican people.”
“On behalf of all American citizens in Puerto Rico, I thank the Secretary of Housing, the Hon. Marcia L. Fudge, for making Puerto Rico a priority and working to remove the onerous hurdles to access recovery funds imposed by the previous Administration. Puerto Rico deserves to be treated fairly and on equal footing with other states of the Union that have suffered through natural disasters. Today, because of her commitment, Puerto Rico has access to 89 percent of the disaster relief funds appropriated through HUD.” said Governor Pedro R. Pierluisi.
“I appreciate that Secretary Fudge, with whom I had the honor to serve alongside in Congress, took the time to speak with me today, and I know that we will work hard together on the island’s recovery as we continue to build a stronger and more resilient Puerto Rico,” the Governor concluded.