Each and every workday, the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration (PRFAA) dedicates to the task of ably representing and advancing the interests of the Government of Puerto Rico before federal, state, and local governments. The PRFAA team is one that is focused on promoting the Government of Puerto Rico’s economic and public policy initiatives to achieve a better quality of life for the people of Puerto Rico. In carrying out its responsibilities, PRFAA works closely with agencies throughout the Government of Puerto Rico, as well as with Puerto Rico legislative leaders and mayors.
Like other states, PRFAA’s focus areas include economic stimulus and development, transportation funding, energy, health care including Medicare and Medicaid, as well as issues that affect veteran’s and our national defense.
PRFAA Washington Roles and Responsibilities
- Articulating and advocating gubernatorial and Puerto Rico-related policy positions to Members of Congress and their staff, the White House, federal agencies, state offices and national organizations.
- Collaborating with the Resident Commissioner to assist him in his duties as representative in Congress of the 4 million U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico, a constituency more than six times greater in size than that of any other U.S. Congressman.
- Serving as a primary focal point in the nation’s capital for the Governor, the Governor’s staff, and senior state officials.
- Providing guidance and support to individuals, businesses, municipalities and other organizations in successfully navigating the federal grants process.
- Providing status reports on federal initiatives and representing the island’s priorities in Washington, D.C.
- Communicating with national, regional and specialty media on issues of importance to the Governor and Puerto Rico.
- Serving as a point of contact for state citizens and businesses in their contacts with the Washington, D.C. community.